IoT technology allows enterprises to implement digital transformation successfully. The manufacturing industries can specifically increase their value in all aspects using IoT solutions. Increasing consumer expectations for various services, changing industrial trends, and searching for appropriate solutions are some of the crucial reasons behind enterprises to adapt with digital transformation.
The Industrial Internet of Things concept utilizes sensors, connected devices, and actuators to enhance the management of industrial operations. Executing smart solutions such as digital advancements and high-tech infrastructure help enterprises fulfill business goals. A fully-fledged IoT solution can offer the facility of real-time tracking of asset conditions. This functionality reduces unnecessary downtime. Once your downtime decreases, it results in enhancement of industrial functioning and improved brand image in all aspects.
How IoT Tracks Equipment Downtime?
The IoT technology enhances the performances of industrial assets by giving insightful predictions regarding maintenance issues and equipment failures. Thanks to smart devices based on IoT technology, all the possible issues can uncover in a single place which gives a clear idea to managers about tracking the downtime.
IoT can track unplanned downtime and owing to its integration in operations, most industries nowadays can effectively monitor the equipment. This whole set-up helps the industrial operations to easily track the downtime. For instance, whenever there is a possibility of machine failure, interconnected devices send instant notification to managers and allow them to make quick decisions. Hence, managers can take the necessary action such as repairing as fast as possible and decreasing the possible delays in operational procedures.
Advanced IoT-based sensor devices extract relevant data from the assets which are further utilized during industrial functions. When these sensors are installed in heavy machinery, they can detect accurate temperatures which would cross the threshold and cause mishaps on site. If managers are aware of such a situation of urgency, they can quickly make a decision and saves the plant from disaster or malfunctioning machinery.
Benefits of IoT Downtime Tracking in the Packaging Industry
Machine Downtime Tracking can increase productivity while addressing traditional challenges in the industrial sector. Let’s take the example of the packaging industry that deals with logistic and supply chain operations of multiple enterprises. IoT improves the overall operability by structuring the operations for smooth processing. The Internet of things concept improves logistics management, optimizes inventories, reduces surplus production, and creates an appealing brand image. All these advantages come with the integration of IoT solutions and transform industries from traditional to advanced level.
Contribution of IoT to Packaging Industry
The Industrial Internet of Things concept simplifies managerial tasks and transforms industrial operations to an advanced level. Executing IoT- based solutions in the packaging industry means utilizing embedded sensors technology for packaging various products such as food, pharmaceuticals, cold chain logistics, and many more. These sensor devices monitor the freshness and quality of products in real-time. Hence, customers can get good quality products in proper packaging.
Advanced sensors and gateway connectivity can improve the implementation of IoT solutions through data-driven concepts. This data is utilized for deriving business operations and providing users with meaningful insights. Hence, IoT remains helpful in effective decision-making. Similar to the packaging industry, other industries also use IoT for ensuring timely delivery and improving customer satisfaction.
Let’s discuss the key points through which robust IoT solutions can reduce the instance of industrial downtime effectively.
Also Read : Top Ways to Leverage IoT and Connected Device for Better Asset Management
Key Ways IoT Reduces Industrial Downtime
- Data-Driven Approach: IoT collects data to gain informed insights about industrial equipment and processes. This data boosts the chances of right decision-making and allows the managers to improve operations at a minimal cost. Installing sensors in machinery offers correct insights based on relevant information. Managers utilize this information for extracting certain patterns to be fully informed about the processes in their plants. These patterns allow managers to have a security of assets and handle challenges easily.
- Advanced Analytics: IoT helps industries to develop with advanced analytics. Advanced analytics predicts machine breakdown before the event might occur and reduce the downtime to a great extent. It increases the life of the equipment and as a result, increases industrial productivity.
- Predictive Maintenance: Predictive Maintenance capability of IoT reduces machine breakdown, increases asset uptime, and enhances asset dependability. This feature also decreases operational costs as a machine under IoT technology only requires maintenance when necessary. Predictive maintenance optimizes the timing of equipment conditions and saves a lot of bucks. It uses specifically designed algorithms to improve production configurations. Industries that integrate IoT-based solutions predict timely machine downtime. It allows floor managers to monitor the condition of machines even from remote locations.
- Illustrative report generation: IoT-based software allow managers to make the right decisions through various illustrative reports which contain all the required data. Different IoT industrial processes consist of sensors to extract asset data, gateway connectivity to transfer data, and a dashboard to facilitate operations.
In this whole process, a report is generated that mentions all the physical parameters such as the overall manufacturing floor, vibrations, noise, temperature requirements, etc. These reports enable managers to have effective control over operations and increase the productivity and profitability of the business.
- Remote and Real-Time Monitoring: IoT offers real-time monitoring of industrial assets. It optimizes and improves business operations through accurate data extraction and converts data into a user-readable format for effective decision-making from managers. Real-time monitoring enables managers to simplify tasks at a low cost. It also detects vibrations in machines that can cause unplanned downtime. Overall, real-time monitoring allows managers to take quick actions whenever they find a fault in machines and schedule timely equipment maintenance to reduce unexpected downtime.
Every production unit is different and has its share of challenges including a sudden machine breakdown, limited control over machines, or inefficient machine performance tracking. Hence, it is better to integrate IoT-based solutions that give manufacturers the confidence to improve plant operation and decrease downtime that enhancing productivity in the long run.
Rejig Digital specializes in building advanced digital transformation solutions that lead way for automation and digitalization for various operations. We strive to solve business complexities and reduce challenges for clients to achieve their goals.